Sunday, July 25, 2021

DINOSAURS GALORE

 Its been quite a while since my last post but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy!!

I discovered a lovely pattern by Elizabeth Hartman called Dinosaurs and as the large full size quilt was a bit big for me, I chose to make the smaller version which is only 48" x 48"


I selected an array of colourful batiks which I arranged against a Navy Blue background.  Perfect for either a boy or girl as a play quilt.



The pattern was not a complicated one but it did require organisation.  The first step was to cut all the strips of both the background Navy and the colourful batiks for each type of dinosaur and sort them into plastic bags.  I needed two different colours of each dinosaur, of which there were 4 types:  Brachiosaurs, T-Rex, Triceratops and Stegosaurus. There were also 3 different type of plants:  Fern, Vine and Cycad

T-Rex, cycad and fern

Stegosaurus, fern and cycad

Triceratops, fern and vine

The assembly was easy as the whole quilt top is straight line sewing.  Very clever how the dinosaurs take shape and they come together quite quickly.  Once each dinosaur block is assembled, you then piece the quilt top together and then onto the quilting.

I had fun deciding on the quilting patterns for each dinosaur and of course, the background. I changed thread colours for each dinosaur and background.

Background:  Free motion swirls and pebbles

T-Rex:  Free motion Baptist Fan

Stegosaurus:   Wavy Ruler work

Triceratops: Clamshell Ruler work both horizontal and vertical

Brachiosaur:  Free motion Cobblestones

Plants:  Straight line Ruler work

Border:  Angle Striped Ruler work


 Clamshell quilting

Cobblestone quilting

Wavy Ruler work



Angle Strip Border



I used a multi-coloured backing which hid any mistakes or irregularities in my free motion quilting and also changed thread to match each colour change.  

The border was quilted in an angular strip pattern (courtesy of Natalia Bonner video)





I have another Elizabeth Hartman pattern which is now on my bucket list to do :)

See you soon, keep sewing









13 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love Hartmans quilts and have a couple of her books.

Your color choices and quilting are a great addition to the finished quilt.

Debbie said...

Love your quilting! Such a fun quilt! I have only made one Elizabeth Hartman pattern but also plan to make another one.

Dawn said...

Thanks Rebecca,

Dawn said...

Thanks Debbie, which one did you make?

Christine B said...

What a fabulous quilt Dawn and I love the quilting that you did throughout. Just beautiful! Hugs Christine xx

Flickenstichlerin said...

Lovely quilt finish, wonderful colors and machine quilting. Congratulations Dawn. Nice to see a blog post from you.

Helen said...

Looks great love the colours and quilting.xx

Unknown said...

I want to make this quilt in the smaller version but also colorful. Your example is perfect for me to have confidence to choose colors. Thank you.

Cheryll said...

I just LoVe it... and so will a little one...

Christine M said...

Gorgeous! My second son would have loved this when he was little.

Donna said...

Love it, colours are vibrant and fun.
Great job

Susan said...

fabulous quilt - her patterns are great but you have really made it a star with the quilting.

tinkercreekquilts said...

Oh my! I just love the way you quilted this. I will be quilting one of these for a client - I am so stealing your ideas!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...