Sunday, March 31, 2019

STUMPWORK EMBROIDERY

As if I didn't have enough to keep me occupied, I enrolled in an Embroidery Class which also encompasses Stumpwork.  I have seen pictures of this beautiful craft but never thought I would be good enough to give it a go. 

With the help of a wonderful teacher, Pene, she compiled a simple project to get me underway. 

Here is the Pene's original project for me to copy, some small berries with a ladybird.





This project is a combination of surface work as well as detached embroidery.  Using an embroidery hoop, two layers of fabric are stretched tight, one is the background fabric and the other is a backing fabric.   First I laid down several threads which I covered by wrapping with a finishing thread, I then embroidered the two surface leaves in a satin stitch with  a button-hole edging.

Next the three small clusters of berries, are actually a small circle of material filled with French knots which is then gathered together to form a clump.   This is then sewn into place on the background fabric.

The five larger berries are simply clear beads covered with thread and a small seed bead attached onto the ends, these are then sewn onto the background fabric.



The detached leaf is made in a separate embroidery hoop with a wire which is encased using blanket stitch then filled with satin stitch.  The leaf is then cut from the fabric very very close to the stitching and using the wire end, poked through the background fabric and then this wire end is sewn down to the backing fabric.

The small ladybird is made the same way as the detached leaf using wire and bent into shape and attached. Using seed beads as eyes and small straight stitches for the legs, the ladybird comes to life.




I purchased a small wooden box (from Alison Cole's website)  with a lid that enabled me to insert my lovely embroidery so that I have a memento of my first piece of Stumpwork.

I am hooked !!!   I have already started a beautiful piece with a hummingbird and flowers but I will keep you posted on my progress. 

Bye for now.



4 comments:

Debbie said...

Glad to see you back in the blogging world. Your stump work piece is amazing!!! Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Donna said...

Love it, you are so talented

Christine B said...

This is fabulous Dawn! I love stumpwork and it is on my 'to do' list! Christine xx

Helen said...

Gorgeous!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...